Friday, March 23, 2012

The Color Green

As of this week we have now had over 1 inch of rain since January and what a difference this year is so far from last year. The color du jour in the strolling garden is green, green and more green. The cloudy days combined with the rare day of soft, drizzly rain and warmer than normal temperatures have done quite a number on the yard. The center bed below was heavily effected by the drought last year and I had though half of the daylilies had died. There's no brown here now. The daylilies are back in full force. The larkspur is reaching for the sky and has developed flower heads this week. The miniature roses are fully leafed out and I spied tiny rose buds on the rose standard in the middle that I managed to get for a steal last November.
This is another view looking back onto the house. The irises have tripled in size and the purple ones in the front year have already started blooming. The large Climbing America rose bush to the left already had clematis growing up it and they already have blossoms on them. The rampant larkspur growing in the middle of the pathway still needs to be transplanted to other spots in the garden beds. It's amazing that all of that came from only three seed packets originally.
This clump of dianthus has been a reliable bloomer two years in a row. I'm sure for most folks that would be no big deal but I somehow manage to kill these after two years. Keeping my fingers crossed this clump makes it to next year. The light pink colors really stand out in the evenings. Pinks, purples, whites and yellows are the main colors I'm planning to add this year. They seem to stand up better to our hot, intense sun during the summer months and lend to the moongarden feeling in the evenings. [oh, the striped thing in the lower corner is my camera cord, not a snake... believe me, I wouldn't have stuck around if it was one of those!]
The first rose blossom of the spring is from the pink Knockout Rose. Have been contemplating digging up all three of my Knockouts. The red Knockout bushes are huge! Had I known those suckers would have gotten four feet tall and just as wide I wouldn't have planted them where they are. [okay, I'm sure the tag had the size on it but I'm terrible about reading the size part. The joy of having a cottage garden is being able to plop whaterver one wants whereever one wants.] The pink one is a third of the size and has never bloomed with the hearty gusto that the red ones have.
I am bummed to find that the majority of my 25 rose bushes, including the minatures, have serious aphid problems this year. Have been hosing them down with water to knock the little suckers off but had to go get some Ortho spray today. I did spot one Lady Bug and one of the creepy pre-Lady Bug stage bugs on one of the tall Climbing Americas. Only need about a 1,000 more of those to take care of these awful aphids.

Hope your garden is enjoying a green insurgance the way mine is. There is nothing better than being in the garden in spring. Even Penny the cat, the little pill I adopted from outdoors, is having a ball in my garden. Course, she doesn't enjoy being rubbed down with a wet wash cloth after her naughty jaunts rolling in my flower beds.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn. I am glad you have gotten some rain to help your garden along this year. I am jealous that you have rose buds already and your Dianthus is blooming. I love the pink Larkspur. Your garden looks so green and lush along the walkway around the beds. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lona. That pink flower is the snapdragon. The taller, feathery green plants next to it are the larkspur. They just started getting flower heads so it will probably be 2-3 weeks before the flowers bloom. Can't wait.

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking magnificent! Amazing how wonderful getting a little rain can be! I love dianthus - I hope yours does well. And yes, Knockouts can become HUGE, or you can cut it back to the size you want! Sorry about your aphid infestation. They're frustrating. I have been noticing ladybugs and nymphs here, too. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if last year's drought is responsible for the aphid insurgence. I've never had aphids this bad. Is nymphs the correct term for the younger stage of ladybugs?

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails